Los Angeles Superior Court
Los Angeles County
Contact: Public Information Office 213-974-5227
Public Information Officer: Allan Parachini
Summary of Court Services Affected By Staff Furloughs Tomorrow, August 19, 2009
Responding to the deepening statewide financial crisis, the Los Angeles Superior Court will substantially reduce its operations and furlough employees tomorrow, August 19, 2009. This will be the court’s second furlough day. All courthouses will be open but providing only essential services for the public.
Los Angeles Superior Court Presiding Judge Charles “Tim” McCoy Jr. will hold a news conference tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. to discuss the operations of the second furlough day. The news conference will take place in the special events courtroom located in room 222 on the second floor. Media representatives are urged to use 111 N. Hill Street entrance and take the escalator to the second floor.
Judge McCoy will also be available throughout the day for one-on-one interviews. Any questions and requests should be directed to Public Information Director Allan Parachini at (213) 974-2656, by cell at (626) 676-5328 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org or Deputy Public Information Officer Vania Stuelp at (213) 974-2656, by cell at (818) 205-3733 or email at email@example.com
Reminders for the public:
· Customers are urged to visit the Court’s Web site, www.lasuperiorcourt.org, to handle traffic tickets, make inquiries regarding jury service, and perform various other transactions or to obtain court information.
· This is a court day, not a holiday.
· A limited number of courtrooms will handle statutorily mandated hearings and felony bench warrants.
· The court will also handle requests for domestic violence, elder abuse or civil harassment restraining orders involving stalking and/or threats of violence.
· Clerks’ offices will be open with limited services. Papers may be filed in the Clerk’s Office by leaving them in a secure drop box. Any filed papers left in a drop box by 4:30 p.m. on August 19th will be considered filed on August 19th. No review or copies of filings will be conducted. Payments of fines and fees will be accepted through secured drop boxes only but no receipts will be given.
· Jurors don’t need to report for service tomorrow.
· Public Information Office will only respond to requests related to the furlough. Media representatives can contact the office at Los Angeles Superior Court Presiding Judge Charles “Tim” McCoy Jr. will hold a news conference tomorrow at (213) 974-2656, (626) 676-5328 or (818) 205-3733 for assistance.