PRESS RELEASE- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date: June 21, 2010
Contact: Evelina Villa, (562) 256-1364
The Fourth of July is one of the busiest times for the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control (DACC). DACC would like to remind pet owners that extra precautions are necessary in order to protect pets during Fourth of July celebrations. Dogs and cats can become startled and disoriented by the loud noises of fireworks. Pets may panic and attempt to escape your property. To ensure the safety of your pets, here are a few tips:
· Make sure your dog’s license is current and be sure the tags are securely affixed to your dog’s collar.
· Keep your pets indoors in a cool, comfortable place.
· Do not keep your pets in the backyard, even if they are tied up. Dogs, in particular, can break free from restraints and jump fences when frightened.
· Do not take your pets to community fireworks events. Most events do not allow pets, and the noises are terrifying for pets.
· If you are leaving town for the weekend and cannot take your pets with you, make sure you leave them with someone who will be cautious during the Fourth of July celebrations.
If your pet becomes lost over the Fourth of July weekend, DACC will be maintaining its regular shelter hours to accommodate pet owners. The hours for the Fourth of July weekend are as follows:
§ Saturday, July 3, & Sunday, July 4, 2010: 10:00 AM-5:00 PM, and
§ Monday, July 5, 2010 between the hours of 12:00 PM-7:00 PM.
The addresses to the shelter locations are:
1. Agoura Animal Shelter- 29525 Agoura Road, Agoura Hills, 91301
2. Baldwin Park Animal Shelter- 4275 N. Elton St., Baldwin Park, 91706
3. Carson Animal Shelter- 216 W. Victoria St., Gardena, 90248
4. Castaic Animal Shelter- 31044 N. Charlie Canyon Rd., Castaic 91384
5. Downey Animal Shelter- 11258 S. Garfield Ave., Downey 90242
6. Lancaster Animal Shelter- 5210 W. Avenue I, Lancaster 93536
If you have any questions, you can visit our website, http://animalcare.lacounty.gov or contact your local animal shelter.