COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES
Office of Emergency Management
1275 North Eastern Avenue
Los Angeles, California 90063
William T Fujioka
Chief Executive Officer
| || |
John S. Fernandes
For Immediate Release
SHEEP FIRE UPDATE
(Fire remains ¼ mile away from L.A. County’s Wrightwood area…
School Closure, Road Closures, Evacuations and Animal Shelters)
LOS ANGELES (Mon., Oct. 5, 2009 – 11 a.m.) – The Sheep Fire, a brush fire that erupted in the Lytle Creek area east of Mt. Baldy and west of the Cajon Pass at approximately 2 p.m. on Oct. 3 has destroyed three residences, threatening 2,000 residences, burned an estimated 7,500 acres and is 20 percent contained according to the U.S. Forest Service.
Presently, the Sheep Fire is one quarter of a mile away from the community of Wrightwood, which parts of the area is located in Los Angeles County. On Oct. 4 at approximately 9:30 a.m., the entire community of Wrightwood was under a mandatory evacuation. All evacuations and road closures still remain in place with the exception of Lytle Creek residents. The following is a list of road closures and mandatory evacuation areas:
- Lytle Creek Rd. is open to Lytle Creek residents with proper identification only
- Lone Pine Canyon Rd. is closed at SR 138
- SR 138 is closed from Interstate 15 to SR 18
- SR 138 from Interstate 15 to SR 2
- SR 2 from SR 138 to La Canada Flintridge
- Wrightwood Community
- Lone Pine Canyon Rd.
- Swarthout Canyon Rd.
- E. Lytle Creek Rd. to N. Mountain Lakes RV Park*
- Community of Applewhite
- Applewhite Camp Grounds
Note: * Lytle Creek – Re-entry for residents with proper identification only
The fire is being attacked with water-dropping aircrafts, engines and strike teams.
SHEEP FIRE UPDATE - 10/5/09 – 11 a.m.
In support of the fire fighting efforts, Los Angeles County Fire Department has dispatched a Type 3 and Type 1 Strike Teams. A unified command has been established with U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Bureau of Land Management and San Bernardino County Fire.
The American Red Cross is coordinating the sheltering of residents in the Wrightwood community, including those residents in the Los Angeles County section of Wrightwood.
American Red Cross Evacuation Centers:
- Eisenhower Senior High School, Multi Purpose Room 1321 N. Lilac Ave., Rialto 92376
- San Bernardino County Fairgrounds 14800 Seventh St., Victorville 92395
Pet Evacuation Center Open (Small Animals):
- San Bernardino County Animal Shelter
19777 Shelterway, Devore 92407
Pet Evacuation Centers (Large Animals):
- San Manuel Amphitheatre (formerly known as Glen Helen Pavilion)
2575 Glen Helen Parkway, San Bernardino 92407
- San Bernardino County Fairgrounds
14800 Seventh St., Victorville 92395
- Snowline Joint Unified School District (Wrightwood/Phelan)
Los Angeles County Department of Public Works:
- Reports no damage to County facilities or infrastructure at this time
Information on Los Angeles County Services:
- LA County.gov – Emergency Alerts and LA County 211
- Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department www.lasd.org
- Los Angeles County Fire Department www.fire.lacounty.gov
CONTACT: Ken Kondo, L.A. County CEO, Office of Emergency Management,
Program Manager and Public Information Officer, 213-792-5128
# # #