COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES
Contact: Judy Hammond, Director of Public Affairs, (213) 974-1363
Angie Castro, Supervisor Molina’s Office, (213) 974-4111; (213) 703-2823
March 30, 2009
L.A. COUNTY LAUNCHES 8th ANNUAL CESAR CHAVEZ
COMMUNITY SERVICE WEEK TODAY
County Employees Follow Chavez’ Example of Service to Others
“We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and
prosperity for our community... Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own." – Cesar Chavez
“Helping and Serving Others” is this year’s theme for the County of Los Angeles’ Eighth Annual Cesar Chavez Community Service Week March 30 to April 3. During this week, County employees will volunteer in the community, and raise food for needy families. On March 31, the day of Chavez’ birthday, Supervisor Gloria Molina will hold a special presentation at the 9:30 a.m. Board of Supervisors meeting at the Hall of Administration, 500 W. Temple Ave., Los Angeles.
To kick-off the County’s Service Week, the East L.A. Library will hold a Cesar Chavez birthday party today with the Trio Monte Carlo from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the library, 4837 E. Third St., Los Angeles.
In response to the Salvation Army’s report of an increase in requests for housing and food from families suffering from the economic downturn, Molina and her staff will a cook meal and serve 200 families at noon at the Salvation Army’s Bell Shelter, 5600 Rickenbacker Rd., in Bell.
“During these difficult economic times, our families and communities are leaning on the County family now more than ever. And, we are pleased to continue our annual tradition of volunteering instead of taking a paid holiday.” said Molina. “I also encourage Los Angeles County residents to join us by finding ways in which to help others in need or to volunteer in their communities.”
Last year L.A. County employees donated a total of 23,000 pounds of food through the Chavez Week food drive in partnership with the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank, with collection of food items at 234 sites.
L.A. County Cesar Chavez Week 2-2-2-2
Youth Visual/Literacy Arts Contest at Probation Youth Facilities:
Through artistic expression, youths embrace the values of self-respect and service to community while celebrating Cesar Chavez’ love for the arts:
- Youths will participate in an inspirational writing contest at Barry J. Nidorf Juvenile Hall.
- Arts and craft sessions, drawing contest, speakers and Folklorico dancers, Central Juvenile Hall.
- Historical timeline photograph exhibit, Central Juvenile Hall.
County Employee Volunteer Projects:
Community garden, tree planting and beautification projects; beach clean-up; library children readings, tutoring and assistance; help at animal shelters and walking/playing with dogs/cats; and partnership with United Way of Greater Los Angeles, Brotherhood Crusade and Volunteers of East L.A.
- March 30 - April 3, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., park beautification projects at Ruben F. Salazar Park, Franklin D. Roosevelt Park, Washington Park, all in Los Angeles; and Adventure Park, Whittier.
- March 30 - April 3, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., assisting with after-school programs at El Cariso Park, Sylmar; Jackie Robinson Park, Littlerock; and Loma Alta Park, Altadena.
- March 30 - April 3, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., painting iron fence, Pathfinder Community Regional Park, Rowland Heights.
- April 3, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.: Beach Clean-up Day, Dockweiler State Beach, 8255 Vista del Mar, Playa del Rey.
- April 3, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Community Service Day sponsored by Volunteers of East Los Angeles (VELA). Meet at 9 a.m. at 4620 E. Third St., Los Angeles. Volunteers will engage in painting, landscaping and gardening activities.
- Castaic Sports Complex Assist with youth and adult sports programs, 31230 N. Castaic Rd. and various other activities
- Chesebrough Park Assist with youth sports and
23505 Sunset Hills Dr. after-school programs and activities
- George Lane Gym Assist with sports
5520 W. Avenue L-8 programs
- Pearblossom Park Assist with arts and crafts and other
33922 N.121th St. East activities
L.A. County Cesar Chavez Week 3-3-3-3
- Richard Rioux Park Assist with youth sports,
26233 W. Faulkner Dr. after-school programs and other
Stevenson Ranch activities
- Sorensen Park Assist with the set-up and clean up for
16801 E. Avenue P events and computer updating duties
Lake Los Angeles
- Santa Fe Dam Park beautification project
15501 E. Arrow Hwy.
- Earvin “Magic” Johnson Park Beautification /painting project
905 E. El Segundo Blvd.
- Pathfinder Community Regional Park Beautification / painting project
18150 E. Pathfinder Rd.
Volunteers will assist with after-school programs and activities at these parks:
El Cariso Park George Lane Park
13100 Hubbard St 5520 W. Avenue L-8
Sylmar Quartz Hill
Crescenta Valley Park Loma Alta Park :
3901 Dunsmore Ave. 3330 N. Lincoln Ave.
La Crescenta Altadena
Jackie Robinson Park Val Verde Park 8773 E. Avenue R 30300 W. Arlington Rd.
Littlerock Val Verde
Volunteers will assist with landscape, gardening and wall painting at these parks:
Washington Park (Florence-Firestone Adventure Park (Southeast)
District) 10130 S. Gunn Ave
8908 S. Maie Ave. Whittier
Ruben F. Salazar Park Franklin D. Roosevelt Park
3864 Whittier Blvd. 7600 Graham Ave.
Los Angeles Los Angeles
L.A. County Cesar Chavez Week 4-4-4-4-
11258 S. Garfield Ave. 12 - 7 p.m.
216 W. Victoria St. 12 - 7 p.m.
4275 N. Elton St. 12 - 7 p.m.
5210 W. Avenue I 12 - 7 p.m.
31044 N. Charlie Canyon Rd. 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
29525 Agoura Rd. 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
County Public Library – Homework Centers, arts projects and story time.
18722 S. Clarkdale Ave.
A C Bilbrew Library
150 E. El Segundo Blvd.
Clifton M. Brakensiek Library
9945 E. Flower St.
Canyon Country Joanne Darcy Library
18601 Soledad Canyon Rd.
151 East Carson St.
City Terrace Library
4025 City Terrace Dr.
Charter Oak Library
20540 "K" Arrow Hwy.
Culver City Julian Dixon Library
4975 Overland Ave.
East Los Angeles Library
4837 E. 3rd St.
El Camino Real Library
4264 E. Whittier Blvd.
East Rancho Dominguez Library
4205 E. Compton Blvd.
East Rancho Dominguez
Masao W. Satow Library
14433 S. Crenshaw Blvd.
Hacienda Heights Library
16010 La Monde St.
12700 S. Grevillea Ave.
La Puente Library
15920 E. Central Ave.
840 N. Puente Ave.
L.A. County Cesar Chavez Week 5-5-5
Lake Los Angeles Library
16921 E. Avenue O, #A
Angelo M. Iacoboni Library
4990 Clark Ave.
George Nye, Jr. Library
6600 Del Amo Blvd.
601 West Lancaster Blvd.
4359 Lennox Blvd.
35119 80th St.
Live Oak Library
4153-55 E. Live Oak Ave.
11320 Bullis Rd.
Lloyd Taber-Marina del Rey Library
4533 Admiralty Way
Marina del Rey
1550 W. Beverly Blvd.
12350 Imperial Hwy.
16254 Colorado Ave.
Quartz Hill Library
42018 N. 50th St. West
8800 Valley Blvd.
Rowland Heights Library
1850 Nogales St.
San Fernando Library
217 N. Maclay Ave.
23743 W. Valencia Blvd.
South El Monte Library
1430 N. Central Ave.
South El Monte
Leland R. Weaver Library
4035 Tweedy Blvd.
1900 E. Firestone Ave.
View Park Library
3854 W. 54th St.
1340 W. 106th St.
West Covina Library
1601 West Covina Parkway
11838 Wilmington Ave.