August 12, 2010 Contacts:
Marcia Ventura (562) 462-2726 or
Eileen Shea (562) 462-2648
LOS ANGELES COUNTY REGISTRAR-RECORDER/COUNTY CLERK
TO BEGIN ISSUING MARRIAGE LICENSES TO SAME-SEX COUPLES
Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk (RR/CC) Dean Logan announced that his
office is taking immediate action to comply with the court's order to
cease to enforce Proposition 8 after August 18 at 5:00 p.m. Please be
advised that no marriage licenses may be issued or civil marriage
ceremonies performed for same gender couples prior to 5:00 p.m. on
August 18; the effective date of the Court's order.
The RR/CC will make accommodations by extending regular office hours in
order to begin issuing marriage licenses and perform civil marriage
ceremonies at designated County facilities after 5:00 p.m. on August 18.
Information on extended hours and locations will be released and posted
on the RR/CC website www.lavote.net by Friday, August 13 after 5:00 p.m.
"The RR/CC is committed to providing the highest level of quality
customer service and will seek to meet customer demand for every
qualified couple seeking a marriage license or a civil marriage ceremony
at County facilities," Logan said.
Demand for marriage license services may increase as a result of the
ruling. "We encourage members of the public to prepare ahead of time by
reviewing the attached information on Marriage License Information or by
accessing information online at www.lamarriage.lacounty.gov" Logan said.
For further information, please call (562) 462-2081.
ABOUT THE REGISTRAR-RECORDER/COUNTY CLERK
The mission of the Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk is to serve Los
Angeles County by providing essential records management and election
services in a fair, accessible and transparent manner.
Information about other Los Angeles County services is provided at
"To Enrich Lives Through Effective and Caring Service"
# # # #
Persons requiring multilingual assistance in Chinese, Japanese, Korean,
Spanish, Tagalog/Filipino, or Vietnamese can call (800) 481-8683.
PLEASE NOTE: NO MARRIAGE LICENSES MAY BE COMPLETED OR CEREMONIES
PERFOMED UNTIL THE STAY IS LIFTED ON WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 18.
* Visit one of our RR/CC office locations or go to our website
www.lamarriage.lacounty.gov to apply online.
* Both parties must be present together and produce "Proof of
Identity" and age documents, such as a government issued photo id.
Photo and age verification is mandatory. All documents must be in
* Both parties must appear to apply for and pick up their marriage
* You must pay the fee of $90 for the marriage license and $85 for
a confidential license.
* If you have been divorced with the last two years you must bring
in a certified copy of your divorce.
* Do I have to be a U.S. Citizen or a resident of Los Angeles
County or the state of California to obtain a marriage license? NO
* Do I need a blood test or health certificate? NO
* Do I need to get married the same day as I get the license? NO
(Licenses are valid for 90 days from the date of issue)
* Do I need to terminate my state-registered domestic partnership
if I'm marrying the same person? See the Secretary of State's
website at www.sos.ca.gov
* The Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk performs Civil Marriage
ceremonies upon request.
* The fee for the civil ceremony is $25. Payment can be made in
cash or by check or money order, made payable to the
Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk or RRCC. If paying by check, valid
government issued identification (i.e., Driver's License) of the
signer is required and must be presented at the time of request.
* Contact your nearest RR/CC office for additional information or
to make a Civil Service appointment.
* We cannot guarantee you a Civil Ceremony appointment the same
day as your marriage license is issued.
* At least one witness must be present at the ceremony unless the
couple is marrying using a confidential marriage license in which
case no witness is required. Parties are responsible for bringing
their own witnesses. If you do not have a witness one can be
provided for a fee of $18. Please contact the office nearest you for