Saturday, August 16, 2008

Jamiel's Law: How Did The "Hour of Power" Go?

Jamiel's Law: How Did The "Hour of Power" Go?
By Walter Moore, Candidate for Mayor of Los Angeles, WalterMooreForMayor.com
August 16, 2008

You may be wondering, like the reporter who just called me, how many signatures the Moore's Corps volunteers got today.

I'm wondering, too.

Will those of you who gathered signatures please drop me an e-mail telling me how many signatures you got? I'll total them up and let everyone know.

My wife and I got only 33 signatures at the Von's at Pico and Fairfax. However, we were visited by a camera crew from Channel 5, and we had a number of takers for yard signs and bumper stickers. Plus, as per this morning's e-mail, the Daily News reported on the event this morning, and called me about it this evening. Channel 4 would have sent a team, but they waited until 11:45 a.m. to call about the event, which was too late.

Channel 2 is on their way over to my house right now.

So, call me "Pollyanna," but here's how I chose to look at today: what we lacked in signatures, we gained in additional media coverage.

That's huge, because people who hear or read a fair and accurate account of Jamiel's Law immediately support it. After all, who in his right mind would want to make our city a sanctuary for gang members?

Today's experience, however, illustrates the importance of raising funds: I was not able to run nearly as many ads to publicize this event as I hoped, because not enough contributions came in. We really need to make people understand the importance of contributing money. We don't have to raise the millions that special interests will give to Villaraigosa for the privilege of ruining our city. But we do need to raise enough to get the word to our fellow citizens.

Thanks again for your support, and don't be discouraged. Remember: three years ago, the local media never even mentioned illegal immigration, much less Special Order 40. Now we've gotten the issue in the news, and we've put enough pressure on City Hall to make them "clarify" Special Order 40. And our numbers are growing by the day, as more and more people discover they have an alternative to Villaraigosa. Plus, although only about 1,057 people have contributed, we have raised over $122,687.

We can and will fix this city.

No comments: