PRESS RELEASE- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date: June 29, 2009
Contact: Evelina Villa (562) 728-4644
FOURTH OF JULY SAFETY TIPS FOR PETS -
“To Enrich Lives Through Effective And Caring Service” Marcia Mayeda Director Administrative Office 5898 Cherry Ave. Long Beach, CA 90805 (562) 728-4882 Fax (562) 422-3408 http://animalcare.lacounty.gov
“To Enrich Lives Through Effective And Caring Service”
5898 Cherry Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90805
Fax (562) 422-3408
The Fourth of July is one of the busiest times for the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control (DACC). DACC reminds pet owners that extra precautions are necessary in order to protect pets during Fourth of July celebrations. Dogs and cats can become startled and disoriented by the loud noises of fireworks. Pets may panic and attempt to escape from your property. To ensure the safety of your pets, here are a few tips:
· Make sure your dog’s license is current and tags are securely affixed to your dog’s collar.
· Keep your pets indoors in a cool, comfortable place.
· Do not keep your pets in the backyard, even if they are tied up. Dogs, in particular, can break free of their restraints and jump fences when scared.
· Do not take your pets to community fireworks events. Most events do not allow pets and the noises in close proximity are particularly terrifying to your pets.
· If you are leaving town for the weekend and cannot take your pets with you, make sure you leave them with someone who will be cautious during the Fourth of July celebrations.
If your pet becomes lost over the Fourth of July weekend, DACC is expanding its days and hours of operation to ensure pet owners can be reunited with their pets. All six shelters will be open Friday, July 3rd, Saturday, July 4th, and Sunday, July 5th. The shelter locations and hours are as follows:
Downey, Carson, Baldwin Park, and Lancaster:
Friday, 7/3/09: 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Saturday, 7/4/09 and Sunday, 7/5/09: 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Castaic and Agoura:
Friday, 7/3/09: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Saturday, 7/4/09 and Sunday, 7/5/09: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
If you have any questions, you can visit our website at http://animalcare.lacounty.gov to contact the animal shelter nearest you.